WASHINGTON TWP. — A family of six was forced out of the Canal Street home Monday morning by a fire that took only minutes to be placed under control.
Firefighters, commanded by Assistant Chief Dick Sumek, arrived at the house for a dryer fire at 8:59 a.m. and had the fire knocked down by 9:04 a.m., authorities said.
There were no injuries.
Fire damage was contained in the laundry room, but additional soot and water damage in the rest of the house displaced the family of two adults and four children, aged 3 to 10.
The family received emergency assistance for food, clothing, lodging — for them and their dog — and comfort kits from the Red Cross.